Tuesday, January 21, 2014

First Beginnings...

Taking the first step is crucial in anything you do in life. Without hesitating to take that first step you are more likely to be stuck and left behind. Sometimes so left behind, it's hard to even know where to start again. So now you're stuck. But somehow, there's a voice in your head, nagging you to NOT stop, and because of that you can't accept the way things are going. This first step is my introduction to the world of technology.

The world of technology could be black and white to those who think of technology as a box. To put technology in a box would mean that you just define technology as just a phone, a T.V., a computer, an iPod, without really considering anything else. This could be dangerous. When you define things as such, one is likely to be stuck in the mud, and sink deeper and deeper. In the world of technology, there is a quick pace of doing things. Every day, or what seems like everyday, a new gadgets is introduced.  In the blink of an eye, one could be introduced to five different gadgets, and unfortunately only a few of those gadgets will continue to impact that person and so many in this world.

As a student, I remember learning with a good ol’ pencil and a good ol’ notebook. I guess that time sounds like ancient history to everyone younger than me. Student’s learning experience today looks completely different. I distinctly remember my time at the University of Minnesota, where students were handed iPads to help boost their learning. I guess that’s what you call being prepared for students who are impacted by the fast changing world of technology. It’s as if the U clearly understood that the incoming freshmen would be better off equipped with technology. I call that preparing and providing these students with a skill of the future. Since many jobs today require technology as a great part of the job, what a better way to integrate these students into the world of technology by giving them a powerful tool.

This reminds me of the infamous proverb  “You give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” To emphasize and connect this proverb with the learning of students today, we must acknowledge that providing the tools to navigate the world of technology is more important than just introducing technology to students.

As an enthusiastic educator, who has a passion to teach and learn, I must promise to always take a first step. So here are my promises to my future students. I promise to learn as much of what I think will benefit you. I promise to help you learn through a medium that will make you feel more engaged. I promise to enhance your learning through technology, even if that means I have to specifically dig around to find your match. I promise to always take the first step in making you a better learner. Now here is my first step. Wish me the best!






No comments:

Post a Comment